Who's Getting Ready for Winter?

PowderPanda

Staff member
Yah.. It's August, but we're fast approaching into the season. If I could offer up some ideas to get prepped.
I like to go hike the areas that I ride in the winter. This allows me to see the terrain and where the avy paths are. Also, by going every year, I can see if there were significant avalanche slides over the season, that may have impacted the the terrain. To be honest, I always hope for a big avy cycle in the late Spring hoping that lines get cleared of trees.

To make it more of a challenge, throw some rocks into your pack. Then as you get too tired, you can just remove them to make your hike out more relaxing.

As the weather is becoming less aggressive in the Spokane Valley, it's easier to find local areas for some light trail run/walking. A favorite of mine is Seltice Highlands by Liberty Lake. There are many options and you can progress to reaching the summit, which is shy of a 700 ft climb. This makes for a pretty easy and safe trail run/walk to improve your cardio.

From what I hear, we are in for a La Ninã season starting potentially in September. This could mean some sick snow in Nov & Dec. This will be really cool, especially if we get a huge hit of snow in the Spokane area to allow us to have some great South Hill riding season (if you know.. you know- hint in the photo below -

@PowderPanda
(Pic by Aaron Theisen)

2FE72AB7-07B1-42ED-BE36-E99E5A3B7209_1_105_c.jpeg
@idsnowghost enjoying all the way to the creek. (pic by @PowderPanda) Oh yah.. and Saturday 08/17 is this guys B-day! Wish him a good one!!

26BF6923-87E5-4BA9-8234-04E384F7ACB0_1_105_c.jpeg